Monday, April 25, 2011

The Book of Kells, Mutefish, and Eddie Rockets.......

Hello, again! I know you are all anxious to see some of the "real" Ireland. Well, here ya go! We had a big day on Easter Sunday, exploring the city center of Dublin. After breakfast, we walked down to the Luas (light rail) to take us into town. Our apartment is on the outskirts.

We saw some random swans swimming in the canal along side the tracks of the Luas.












Here's a view of two Luas trains, going in opposite directions. We took the one on the right.
Hmmmm..........what have we here?

Here I am standing in front of the Ha'Penny Bridge, so called, because once upon a time, it cost a half penny to cross it. This is a foot bridge over the River Liffey.
This guy was playing "spoons." He was quite good at it.

Another random street musician. He's playing the Uillean pipes, the Irish version of bagpipes. The air for the pipes comes from a bellows beneath his right elbow. "Uilleann" means elbow. I gave him a couple of euro--he was pretty good, too.

Cobblestones in the Temple Bar region. The piper above was also in the same area. And below, just one example of the kind of shops in Temple Bar. Quite an experience. I'm hoping we can go back and really explore this part of Dublin as this was not our goal for the day.
 Tracy and Jill--I was thinking you would really like this place!



Dame Street, on our way to Trinity College. Beautiful Georgian style architecture.









 Further down Dame Street.
  
The Bank of Ireland--originally built as a Parliament building, but converted to a bank in 1802.
Below I am standing in front of Trinity College.                                                                            

Inside the gates of Trinity College


"In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty,
It's there I first met my sweet Molly Malone."

But the locals call her, "The tart with the cart." (not me, the statue....tee hee!)







Grafton Street, Dublin--THE shopping place--all the fancy (and expensive) boutique shops are here.

These street musicians were phenomenal, at least I liked them. I bought one of their CDs. That guy playing the Irish flute was very talented.


The Dublin Wheel. You get on this, and it goes around slowly about 3 times. You can see all over the city. If you've ever been to London and seen the London Eye, this is similar, just a bit smaller.














Getting ready to board the "Wheel"

A view from the Dublin Wheel. That is a new stadium for rugby.




Inside the Wheel

As our day came to an end, we had a milkshake and "American fries" at Eddie Rocket's. This is just like Johnny Rocket's in the States.


Great fun had by all.













I'm sure most of this does not even look like what you expect Ireland to look like. However, this is the "big" city, Dublin. In a couple of days, I'll post the Ireland you are all waiting for. Till then,
"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand. (Irish Blessing)

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos and comments so far!! I'm taking my virtual trip - well, probably without the Guiness!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't necessarily associate something covered in skulls with "freshness". Heeheehee! I totally do not remember seeing the wheel when I was in Dubs. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete